Monday, October 30, 2006

dilemma

I have a love/hate relationship with fashion or even style.

Dressing well seems like such a chore after years of living in school uniforms (even in kindergarden or nursery school) and oversized t-shirts and jeans. Yet, to be able to dress as what I wish, rather than what is dicated, is also a freedom and I want to grasp and take advantage of said freedom.

Restrains bog me down. An extremely limited budget where clothes are a neglected category, overridden by more pressing needs/wants: food, transport, books. It's almost an indulgence that is guilt-inducing. You know you cant have it, yet the more you want it because it is denied.

Magazines are so expensive and almost shallow and frivolous (in my opinion), when I compare them to books. Especially, my fave fantasy fiction. Besides books have a higher re-read value than magazines. Yet mags are important in the sense that they educate me about styling and trends, which leads me to the next point: I need to dress my age!

For whatever obsure or obvious reasons, I tend towards the conservative in my dress sense. I'm not very adventurous or should I say, have yet to try out anything new. Boring, old, work, stiff, drab are some adjectives that can be used to describe my dress sense. I guess if I'm feeling positive, classic is
another word that can be used. But classic when you're 19 is not exactly the best thing in the world, it'll be too easy to degenerate to boring, stuffy, lacklustre when I'm older.

I want to inject more life, more youth in the way I dress. I want to dress my age! Yet I dont want to come across as brash, uncouth youngster, or a vain bimbo. There's a thin line between adventurous and plain trashy.

6 comments:

Sales Rack Raider said...

I understand what you're going through. I had no sense of fashion whatsoever during high school and my undergrad studies, primarily because I didn't have the money. So I didn't allow myself to buy fashionable clothes, and I didn't allow myself to buy magazines. When I finally started making money, I stuck with conservative pieces for practical and economical reasons. They didn't fit right, but they were cheap.

Magazines are so very expensive, but they offer a bit of respite from my hectic life. Sometimes they give great ideas, sometimes I think the editors have got to be kidding (the issue of InStyle that I bought yesterday is a case in point). What really inspired me to play around with my style wasn't some glossy spread, but what real people are wearing. I love Style Diary and style blogs for that reason. Being creative somewhat makes up for the lack of funds.

Thanks for putting up your old posts--they're very insightful. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.