Monday, October 30, 2006

Heels

I'm the kind of girl who hasnt learnt to walk in anything with heels. Anything more than 1" is high to me and 2" is the highest heel I possess (a pretty thing which I only wear to wedding dinners or some special occasion). That's pretty much pathetic in the eyes of most women. In fact one of my ex-colleagues said that to be woman, a girl has to wear heels or learn to wear them.

This didnt really bother me until recently. (after all, I spent most of my time in canvas or sport shoes in school) However, now that I've graduated from junior college and worked in temp positions, I've realised the prevalence of high heels among women/girls. It seems that to be feminine, high heels is an compulsory part of the formula.

It doesnt help that most pretty/cute/girly/elegant shoes are high-heeled. As I become more conscious of my dressing, I can't help salivating that those ridiculously high and so pretty shoes. I'm in awe of women who can walk in stilettoes. Somehow, flats are all so dowdy and "aunty", almost something that grandmothers wear.

Though ballerina flats are now in the rage, I find that sometimes they are still problematic as they dont stay on my feet, they just slip out. I almost injured something
when I was running after my bus in my flats. It is so irritating.

To add salt to my wounds, I'm short! Actually I'm quite ok with my height but hey, heels means added height and who doesnt want that sometimes. So far, wedges/platforms are my best bet, as they are more stable and give some height (of coures, I only go for the ones with ankle straps), but platforms are harder to find.

One of my guy friends recently told me that I should wear heels, he says that girls look good in heels. Argh, I know he didnt mean anything sexist but I'm just vexed that we should suffer just to look good for guys (yes, I think wearing heels is a suffering). Anyway, I told him that I wont sacrifice my comfort just for him (aww, I think I hurt his feelings. Too bad =P)

Anyway, my search for affordable and comfortable yet pretty shoes continues.

No comments: