Thursday, March 15, 2007

back to basics

i find it is difficult for myself to buy pants. Most of the time, they just don't attract my attention. whenever i enter a store, it is the tops, skirts and dresses that jump to greet me. Yet pants are still an essential in my wardrobe, especially for days when I'm cooped up in the frigid cold environment of the library or attending morning lectures. Pants keep my legs warm (I'm just not a tights/leggings person)

Very often, when we shop for clothes, we tend to neglect the basic items that we need but are not flashy enough to catch our eye. We need to put more effort in looking out for these items. For me, it is pants and plain tops.

One way to avoid this trap is to look for basics but with a twist. For example, pants with an interesting contrast trim at the waistband and/or pockets, more luxurious fabrics for camisoles, plain tops with ruching.

Just a small amount of detail will make shopping for basics more fun and add some zest to your outfit.

caution: make sure that the detail does not overwhelm the main purpose of the item: a basic that can be worn with many of your other wardrobe pieces.
Keep the details small and the overall line of the item simple.

tip: Fit is the most important criteria for a basic. Make sure that it is exactly the correct size and cut for your body shape.

No comments: